One impulse from a vernal wood
May teach you more of man,
Of moral evil and of good,
Than all the sages can.
– William Wordsworth
These are largely “notes to myself” or my gratitude list. What helps me today after I do my morning scan through Twitter and Facebook and digest headlines? I’m curious, too, what is helping you? Let’s share our wisdom!
Things that help me:
- Decaf coffee & tea.
- Balanced diet (boring, I know, but of great benefit. Very grounding. Includes dark chocolate.)
- Exercise! Walking outside or yoga or even the treadmill at the gym, in a pinch.
- Reading books with perspective and humor (vs. social media.) (Just read “The Road to Little Dribbling” by Bill Bryson very slowly. Good for several laughs a day.)
- Babysitting a 5 year old, or hanging out with 10 and 12 year olds – keeps one in the present in a demanding and different sort of way. 🙂
- Knowing that I’m signed up for an all day meditation workshop in Boulder in a few
weeks with one of my favorite teachers – holds the prospect of being fully centered for a whole day!
- Talking with trusted friends about something – anything – that means something other than politics. Helps get the heart center tuned up and moving in the right direction.
- Anything that helps to let go of compulsive activity, even for a few hours. I hosted a family birthday party a week ago and that put me in a great mood – channeling creativity for a full day.
- Singing or listening to music.
- Short road trip deeper into nature. REALLY fun around here.
- Knowing I’ve done some small thing to be connected to the larger group of people making a positive difference in the world – even if it is just posting joyful art on social media. It makes me smile…and one or two others, also.
- It may be unhealthy, but I vent my frustrations on Twitter. I live in an isolated area and I have my tiny little rant-of-the-day via reposts that gets it (frustration) all out of my system, sort of. As long as I move on to the list above for the remains of the day. There’s probably a better method for this…do let me know….
Would truly love to hear your list! Send via comments!
Love & blessings, Karen